CarbonX™ CF-PEEK Carbon Fiber Reinforced PEEK 3D Filament
CarbonX™ CF-PEEK is one of the premier polymers in FFF/FDM 3D Printing. Made using high-modulus carbon fiber for exceptional stiffness, strength, and dimensional stability.
PEEK is one of the highest performance thermoplastics ever invented. It is used in some of the most demanding applications such as seals, gears, bushings, bearings, and pump & compressor components. Industries such as Auto, Aerospace, Defense, Semi-conductor, and Oil/Gas depend on PEEK for applications where failure is not an option.
CarbonX™ PEEK Properties Include:
- High Thermal Resistance
- Excellent Chemical Resistance
- Superior Wear Resistance
- Near Zero Moisture Absorption
- Low smoke and toxic gas emissions
PEEK has an excellent resistance to hydrolysis in boiling water and superheated steam (sterilization/autoclave) at temperatures in excess of 250°C (482°F).
General thermal properties of PEEK are:
- Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) 143°C
- Melt Temperature (Tm) 343°C
- Continuous Use Temperature (CUT) 240 - 260°C
CarbonX™ CF-PEEK is carbon fiber reinforced and abrasive - resulting in high wear on a brass nozzles. We recommend our A2 Hardened Steel Nozzles - HERE
Printing with CarbonX™ PEEK
PEEK has a melt temperature (Tm) of 343°C, therefore, you will need an all-metal extruder capable of reaching (and holding) temps upwards of 400°C or more depending on your specific printer. Every printer / slicer is different and you will need to tinker a bit to find a process that works for you. One of the more difficult aspects of printing with PEEK was getting it to stick to the build plate. The best material we found was Ultem® PEI sheet or tape.
Here are our recommendations - which should act as a good starting point for you and your particular set-up.
- Extruder Temps: 380 - 410°C
- Bed Temps: 130 - 150°C
- Bed Prep: Ultem® PEI tape or sheet
- Nozzle: We strongly recommend a 0.4mm orifice or larger using one of our A2 Hardened Nozzles - HERE
- Layer Height: Ideal layer height is 60% of nozzle diameter. We do not recommend printing layers below 0.25mm with carbon fiber grades. Lower than 0.25mm may create too much back pressure in the hot end and result in poor feeding, jams, drive gear clicking, and eating a notch into the filament.
- Please note - PEEK has a tendency to stick to metal (PEEK loves metal). Please make sure to purge out your extruder before it cools down or you run the risk permanent clogs. Seriously - we know this first hand.