CarbonX™ CF-PEI 3D Printing Filament
We manufacture CarbonX™ Carbon Fiber Reinforced PEI (Polyether Imide) using a custom-formulated compound made from ULTEM™ PEI resin and high-modulus carbon fiber. PEI is an amorphous, high-performance polymer that offers excellent mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties. Our PEI based filaments offer the ability to create parts with excellent properties at elevated temperatures due to a high glass transition temperature (Tg) of 217°C. The addition of high-modulus carbon fiber greatly increases the stiffness / modulus of the material as well as greatly improving dimensional stability during and after printing.
Product attributes include:
- High thermal properties: (Tg) of 217°C
- Inherently flame retardant
- Long-term hydrolytic stability
- Excellent dimensional stability (low creep sensitivity and low, uniform coefficient of thermal expansion) and highly reproducible part-to-part dimensions
- Exceptional strength and modulus, even at elevated temperatures
- Good resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as automotive fluids, fully halogenated hydrocarbons, alcohols, and aqueous solutions
- Stable dielectric constant and dissipation factor over a wide range of temperatures and frequencies
Automotive / Transportation Applications: ULTEM™ resins provide automotive manufacturers with a high performance, chemically resistant, thermally-stable, cost-effective alternative to metal that is strong enough to replace steel in some applications and light enough to replace aluminum in others. For applications like transmission components, throttle bodies, ignition components, sensors and thermostat housings,
Electrical / Electronics Applications: ULTEM™ resin may be an excellent material choice for today’s demanding electrical applications, including connectors, MCB components like housings, shafts and levers, hard disk drive internals, FOUP’s, BiTS, PCB’s, MCCB internals, Plenum devices, LCD projector internals, fuel cell components and many other applications.
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Color: Black
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder Temp: 360 - 390°C (all-metal extruder)
- Bed Temp: 140 - 160°C
- Bed Prep: PEI tape, Polyimide Tape, Lightly sanded FR4 or Perf board.
- Nozzle: We strongly recommend a 0.4mm orifice or larger using one of our A2 Hardened Nozzles - HERE
- Layer Height: Ideal layer height is 60% of nozzle diameter. We do not recommend printing layers below 0.25mm with carbon fiber grades. Lower than 0.25mm may create too much back pressure in the hot end and result in poor feeding, jams, drive gear clicking, and eating a notch into the filament.
ULTEM™ is a registered trademark of Sabic Innovative Plastics.
3DXTECH manufactures this filament using a custom-formulated carbon fiber reinforced compound made using ULTEM™ PEI resin.