CarbonX™ Carbon Fiber PEKK 3D Filament
PEKK (PolyEtherKetoneKetone) is one of the highest-performance polymers in world. Developed in partnership with Arkema - a leading supplier of ultra-performance materials.
Aerospace-Grade Performance. Made using Kepstan® PEKK and Toray® Aerospace-Grade T800 24K Chopped Carbon Fiber. This compound was created for extreme applications where exceptional thermal, mechanical, and chemical resistance properties are required.
CarbonX® CF-PEKK has a wider processing window than PEEK and typically prints with extruder temps between 360-390°C, whereas CF-PEEK often requires extruder temps above 400°C. CarbonX™ PEKK has a lower rate and degree of crystallinity than PEEK, which aids in its ease of printing. However, once printed and annealed, PEKK parts exhibit superior performance vs. PEEK. Easier to print + superior performance!
CarbonX™ CF-PEKK product attributes include:
- Toray® T800 24K Aerospace-Grade Carbon Fiber
- Keptstan® Aerospace-Grade PEKK
- PEKK is substantially easier to print than PEEK
- Glass Transition Temp (Tg) of 162°C (20°C higher than PEEK)
- Melt Temp (Tm) of 335°C (allows for lower print temps than PEEK)
- Inherent flame resistance (UL94 V-0)
- Outstanding mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance
- Continuous Use Temperature (CUT) of 260°C, higher for short durations
- Excellent resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as those used in the oil/gas, automotive, aerospace, industrial, and chemical processing industries
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Larger reel quantities available upon request
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder Temp: 355 - 385°C
- Bed Temp: 120 - 140°C
- Bed Prep: Ultem™ Tape is the ideal build surface, glue stick on clean glass is suitable
- Enclosure temp (if your printer is equipped): 70 - 150°C
- Print Speed: 10-50 mm/s for 0.24mm layer height, fast as results dictate
- Nozzle Diameter: Minimum of 0.4mm or larger (to avoid nozzle obstructions)
- Nozzle Construction: Carbon fiber materials are abrasive and will damage brass nozzles. We recommend a hardened steel nozzle for printing with all CarbonX™ and Glass-Fiber grades. Please see our collection of A2 Hardened Nozzles HERE.
- Minimum Layer Height: We recommend layer height of 60% of nozzle diameter for printing our CarbonX™ CF grades. Therefore, for a 0.4mm nozzle, the minimum layer height should be 0.24mm or larger. CF grades exhibit exceptional surface quality and layers below 0.24mm are generally not required to maximize surface appearance.
- Extrusion multiplier: start at 1.0 and adjust from there.
- First layer height: keep as close to 100% as your printer will allow - CF does not like layers below 0.2mm
Annealing (post crystalizing) 3D Printed PEKK Parts: Parts printed with PEKK must be annealed after printing to ramp-up the crystallinity in the resin. This will maximize mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties.
- Step 1: Place part in an oven and raise the temperature to 160c, allow to remain at that temperature for 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Raise the oven temperature to 200c and allow the part to remain at this temperature for 2 hours. Allow to cool prior to handling part.