CarbonX™ Carbon Fiber PEKK 3D Filament (Aerospace)
Aerospace-Grade Performance. Made using Kepstan® PEKK and Toray® Aerospace-Grade T800 24K Chopped Carbon Fiber. This compound was created for extreme applications where exceptional thermal, mechanical, and chemical resistance properties are required.
CarbonX® CF-PEKK has a wider processing window than PEEK and typically prints with extruder temps between 360-390°C, whereas CF-PEEK often requires extruder temps above 400°C. CarbonX™ PEKK has a lower rate and degree of crystallinity than PEEK, which aids in its ease of printing. However, once printed and annealed, PEKK parts exhibit superior performance vs. PEEK. Easier to print + superior performance!
CarbonX™ CF-PEKK product attributes include:
- Toray® T800 24K Aerospace-Grade Carbon Fiber
- Keptstan® Aerospace-Grade PEKK
- PEKK is substantially easier to print than PEEK
- Glass Transition Temp (Tg) of 162°C (20°C higher than PEEK)
- Melt Temp (Tm) of 335°C (allows for lower print temps than PEEK)
- Inherent flame resistance (UL94 V-0)
- Outstanding mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance
- Continuous Use Temperature (CUT) of 260°C, higher for short durations
- Excellent resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as those used in the oil/gas, automotive, aerospace, industrial, and chemical processing industries
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Larger reel quantities and other diameters available upon request
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder Temp: 355 - 385°C
- Bed Temp: 120 - 140°C
- Bed Prep: Ultem™ Tape is the ideal build surface, glue stick on clean glass is suitable
- Enclosure temperature: Up to 130°C if your printer is equipped with a heated chamber
- Nozzle Diameter: We strongly recommend a 0.4mm orifice or larger using one of our A2 Hardened Nozzles - HERE
- Layer Height: Ideal layer height is 60% of nozzle diameter. We do not recommend printing layers below 0.25mm with carbon fiber grades. Lower than 0.25mm may create too much back pressure in the hot end and result in poor feeding, jams, drive gear clicking, and eating a notch into the filament.
Annealing (post crystalizing) 3D Printed PEKK Parts: Parts printed with PEKK may be annealed after printing to ramp-up the crystallinity in the resin. Annealing is not necessary, but doing so will maximize mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties.
- Step 1: Place part in an oven and raise the temperature to 160c, allow to remain at that temperature for 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Raise the oven temperature to 200c and allow the part to remain at this temperature for 2 hours. Allow to cool prior to handling part.