3DXSTAT™ ESD-Safe PEEK 3D Filament
3DXSTAT™ ESD-PEEK is one of the premier polymers in FFF/FDM 3D Printing. PEEK is one of the highest performance thermoplastics ever invented. It is used in some of the most demanding applications such as seals, gears, bushings, bearings, and pump & compressor components. Industries such as Auto, Aerospace, Defense, Semi-conductor, and Oil/Gas depend on PEEK for applications where failure is not an option.
Print amazing PEEK parts with Gearbox™ HT2 High-Temp 3D Printer. Check it out HERE.
3DXSTAT™ ESD-PEEK Properties Include:
- 10^6 to 10^7 ohm surface resistivity on 3DP sample using concentric ring test method
- Consistent surface resistivity and low particulate contamination
- Inherent flame resistance
- Long-term hydrolytic stability - PEEK has an excellent resistance to hydrolysis in boiling water and superheated steam (sterilization/autoclave) at temperatures in excess of 250°C (482°F).
- Excellent dimensional stability (low creep sensitivity and low, uniform coefficient of thermal expansion) and highly reproducible part-to-part dimensions
- Outstanding resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as automotive fluids, fully halogenated hydrocarbons, alcohols, and aqueous solutions
- High Thermal Resistance: Tg of 143°C, Tm of 343°C
- Low smoke and toxic gas emissions
General thermal properties of PEEK are:
- Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) 143°C
- Melt Temperature (Tm) 343°C
- Continuous Use Temperature (CUT) 240 - 260°C
Printing with 3DXSTAT™ ESD-PEEK
PEEK has a melt temperature (Tm) of 343°C, therefore, you will need an all-metal extruder capable of reaching (and holding) temps upwards of 400°C or more depending on your specific printer. Every printer / slicer is different and you will need to tinker a bit to find a process that works for you. One of the more difficult aspects of printing with PEEK was getting it to stick to the build plate. The best material we found was Ultem® PEI sheet or tape.
Here are our recommendations - which should act as a good starting point for you and your particular set-up.
- Extruder Temps: 375 - 410°C
- Bed Temps: 130 - 150°C
- Bed Prep: Ultem® PEI tape or sheet
- Nozzle: We strongly recommend a 0.4mm orifice or larger using one of our A2 Hardened Nozzles - HERE
- Layer Height: Ideal layer height is 60% of nozzle diameter.
- Please note - PEEK has a tendency to stick to metal (PEEK loves metal). Please make sure to purge out your extruder before it cools down or you run the risk permanent clogs. Seriously - we know this first hand.
- Drying Instructions: Please see the following instructions for when you want to dry out this filament, HERE.
Recommended Printing Experience
Novice: A beginner using an entry-level 3D printer should have minimal problems using this material
Intermediate: User has several months of experience with a moderate to high quality printer
Advanced: User has > 1 year of printing experience and is using a high quality commercial printer
Expert: User has significant amount of experience and is using a high-performance or heavily modified printer
These categories are somewhat arbitrary, but come from many years of our own printing experience as well as troubleshooting with customers.