Firewire® PEKK 3D Filament
PEKK (PolyEtherKetoneKetone) is one of the highest-performance polymers in world. A leading material in the PAEK family, PEKK has exceptional mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties, while being substantially easier to print than PEEK. Developed in partnership with Arkema - a leading supplier of ultra-performance materials.
Gone are the days when you needed a wildly expensive closed-source printer and license to take advantage of ultra-performance polymers. Our PEKK was created to be printed using the many new open-source printer platforms currently available on the market.
The Polyaryletherketone (PAEK) family of thermoplastics exhibit exceptional thermal, chemical, and mechanical properties. The PAEK family includes the following polymers:
- Polyetherketoneketone (PEKK
- Polyetherketone (PEK)
- Polyetheretherketone (PEEK)
- Polyetherketoneetherketoneketone (PEKEKK)
Firewire® PEKK has a wider processing window than PEEK and typically prints with extruder temps between 340 - 360°C, whereas PEEK often requires extruder temps of 400°C or higher. Firewire® PEKK has a lower rate and degree of crystallinity than PEEK, which aids in its ease of printing. However, once printed and annealed, PEKK parts exhibit superior performance vs. PEEK. Easier to print + superior performance!
Firewire® PEKK product attributes include:
- Substantially easier to print than PEEK
- Glass Transition Temp (Tg) of 162°C (20°C higher than PEEK)
- Melt Temp (Tm) of 335°C (allows for lower print temps than PEEK)
- Inherent flame resistance (UL94 V-0)
- Low smoke generation for aerospace applications
- Outstanding mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance
- Continuous Use Temperature (CUT) of 260°C, higher for short durations
- Excellent resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as those used in the oil/gas, automotive, aerospace, industrial, and chemical processing industries
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Colors: Natural
- Larger reel quantities available upon request
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder Temp: 345 - 375°C
- Bed Temp: 120 - 140°C
- Bed Prep: Ultem™ Tape is the ideal build surface, glue stick on clean glass is suitable
- Enclosure temp (if your printer is equipped): 70 - 150°C
- Print Speed: 20-50 mm/s for 0.2mm layer height, faster print speeds as results and experience dictate
Annealing (post crystalizing) 3D Printed PEKK Parts: Parts printed with PEKK must be annealed after printing to ramp-up the crystallinity in the resin. This will maximize mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties. Printed parts will be transparent golden in color and then turn an opaque tan color once annealed (see picture above).
- Step 1: Place part in an oven and raise the temperature to 160c, allow to remain at that temperature for 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Raise the oven temperature to 200c and allow the part to remain their until it turns a uniform tan color. Timing will depend on the temperature uniformity and circulation of the air inside the oven. Allow to cool prior to handling part.
Firewire® is a registered trademark of 3DXTECH, it's owners, and affiliates.