CarbonX TPI+CF [Thermoplastic Polyimide]
CarbonX™ TPI+CF is made using Sabic’s EXTEM™ Thermoplastic Polyimide (TPI) and 10% Toray T-800 Aerospace-grade carbon fiber. This ultra-polymer has exceptional mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties and is an excellent alterative to higher cost materials such as PEEK and PEKK.
CarbonX™ TPI+CF Carbon Fiber Reinforced TPI (Thermoplastic Polyimide)
CarbonX™ TPI+CF is made using Sabic’s Extem™ Thermoplastic Polyimide (TPI) resin plus 10% Toray T-800 chopped carbon fiber. This resin has been formulated specifically for FFF/FDM additive manufacturing. CarbonX™ TPI+CF boasts exceptional thermal properties with a glass transition temperature (Tg) of 247°C and an HDT of 240°C. This material has exceptional mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties and is suitable for the most demanding applications in the aerospace, automotive, electronics, and industrial markets.
What is TPI? One way to think about our CarbonX™ TPI+CF is to consider it a higher-heat version of the venerable Ultem™ 1010 PEI (Polyether Imide). Both TPI and PEI are amorphous thermoplastic polyimides and offer excellent high-heat resistance. But only CarbonX™ TPI+CF offers superior thermal and mechanical properties – up to 50% higher than Ultem™ 1010 in some instances! CarbonX™ TPI+CF must be considered a top contender when you need the best performance. Our Gearbox™ HT2 printer [HERE] is the ideal platform for printing ThermaX™ TPI and other ultra-polymers.
Benefits of CarbonX™ TPI+CF:
- Made using 10% Toray T-800 Aerospace-grade Carbon Fiber
- Exceptional thermal properties: Tg = 247°C, HDT 240°C
- Up to 50% stronger than Ultem™ 1010 at temps above 170°C [170-240°C]
- Superior chemical resistance [auto & aircraft fluids, aliphatic hydrocarbons, alcohols, acids, chlorinated solvents]
- Inherently flame retardant without the use of halogenated additives
- Amorphous polymer with excellent dimensional stability over a wide range of temperatures
- Lower cost than other ultra-polymers such as PEEK and PEKK
1.75mm +/- 0.05mm in diameter
Recommended Print Settings:
- Extruder: 435-460°C
- Bed Temp: 180-220°C
- Bed Prep: Nano Polymer Adhesive or 3DXTECH Polyimide Tape gives us the best results
- Heated Chamber: CarbonX™ TPI+CF is going to be difficult to print without using a printer equipped with an actively heated print chamber. Ideally, the chamber temp will be in the 220-240°C range to achieve ideal layer bonding, part strength, and dimensional stability. If your printer cannot reach these chamber temps, then you will want to set it to as high as the printer is capable of reaching (i.e., an 80°C chamber is better than room temp!). Our Gearbox™ HT2 printer is the ideal platform for printing ThermaX™ TPI and other ultra-polymers.
- Supports: ThermaX HTS High-Temp Support works ideal for complex, high-temp materials just like this.
- Drying Instructions: 150°C for 4+ hours.
This material is particularly abrasive among 3D printing filaments. Users may find standard brass nozzles are chewed through very quickly compared to standard wear and tear. When worn through, the nozzle diameter will widen inconsistently and the printer will experience extrusion issues.
Because of this, it's strongly recommended this material be printed through a hardened steel nozzle rather than a softer metal. Hardened steel nozzles can often be inexpensive and easily installed depending on your printer manufacturer's instructions.
ULTEM™ and EXTEM™ are registered trademarks of Sabic Innovative Plastics.3DXTECH manufactures this filament using EXTEM™ TPI resin. Extem AMHH811F
Send us a message and we'll reach out as soon as we can!