ThermaX™ PSU 3D Printing Filament
Polysulfone (PSU) is a high-temperature aromatic sulfone polymer. PSU has excellent thermal and chemical resistance, making it well suited for demanding applications in automotive, aerospace, electronics, defense, food service, industrial, plumbing, medical, semi-con applications.
ThermaX™ PSU is an excellent alternative to ULTEM™ 9085:
- Superior thermal properties (higher Tg and HDT) allow for higher strength and stiffness at elevated temperatures
- Lower cost per kg and lower density (more filament per kg)
Attributes of Firewire® Polysulfone (PSU) include:
- Very high thermal properties with a Tg of 187°C and HDT of 172°C [Superior to ULTEM™ 9085]
- Excellent hydrolytic resistance
- High Environmental Stress Crack Resistance (ESCR)
- Highly resistant to gamma radiation
- Sterilization suitable - including EtO gas, radiation, steam autoclaving, plasma, dry heat and cold sterilization
- Resists most common automotive fluids, including gasoline, antifreeze, transmission fluid, motor oil, power steering fluid, windshield washer fluid
- Excellent dimensional stability (low creep sensitivity and low, uniform coefficient of thermal expansion) and highly reproducible part-to-part dimensions
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Density: 1.24g/cm3
Recommended Print Conditions: (starting points)
- Extruder Temp: 350 - 380°C (all-metal extruder)
- Bed Temp: 140-160°C
- Bed Prep: Ultem® Tape, Polyimide Tape, Lightly sanded FR4 or Perf board.
- Other: No cooling fan, Print speeds of 1000mm/min (starting point). We recommend printing within a heated enclosure or in a warm build environment.
PSU is sold by Solvay under the tradename Udel and by BASF under the tradename Ultrason S.