CarbonX™ Carbon Fiber PEKK 3D Filament
PEKK (PolyEtherKetoneKetone) is one of the highest-performance polymers in world. Developed in partnership with Arkema - a leading supplier of ultra-performance materials. This material was created for extreme applications where exceptional thermal, chemical, and mechanical properties are required. CarbonX™ Grade CF-PEKK is made using Kepstan® PEKK and a specialty chosen high-modulus chopped carbon fiber that is ideal for use with ultra-performance polymers such as PEKK.
Print CarbonX™ PEKK parts with Gearbox™ HT2 High-Temp 3D Printer. Check it out HERE.
CarbonX® CF-PEKK has a wider processing window than PEEK and typically prints with extruder temps between 360-390°C, whereas CF-PEEK often requires extruder temps above 400°C. CarbonX™ PEKK has a lower rate and degree of crystallinity than PEEK, which aids in its ease of printing. However, once printed and annealed, PEKK parts exhibit superior performance vs. PEEK. Easier to print + superior performance!
Print Carbon Fiber PEKK parts with Gearbox™ HT2 High-Temp 3D Printer. Check it out HERE.
CarbonX™ CF-PEKK product attributes include:
- Substantially easier to print than PEEK
- Continuous Use Temperature (CUT) of 260°C, and higher for short duration
- Glass Transition Temp (Tg) of 162°C (20°C higher than PEEK)
- Melt Temp (Tm) of 335°C (allows for lower print temps than PEEK)
- Made using 50K High-Modulus Chopped Carbon Fiber
- Keptstan® Aerospace-Grade PEKK
- Inherent flame resistance (UL94 V-0)
- Outstanding mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance
- Excellent resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as those used in the oil/gas, automotive, aerospace, industrial, and chemical processing industries
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Larger reel quantities and other diameters available upon request
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder Temp: 355 - 385°C
- Bed Temp: 120 - 140°C
- Bed Prep: PEI Tape is the ideal build surface, glue stick on clean glass is suitable
- Enclosure temperature: Up to 130°C if your printer is equipped with a heated chamber
- Nozzle Diameter: We strongly recommend a 0.4mm orifice or larger using one of our A2 Hardened Nozzles - HERE
- Layer Height: Ideal layer height is 60% of nozzle diameter. We do not recommend printing layers below 0.25mm with carbon fiber grades. Lower than 0.25mm may create too much back pressure in the hot end and result in poor feeding, jams, drive gear clicking, and eating a notch into the filament.
Annealing (post crystallizing) 3D Printed PEKK Parts: Parts printed with PEKK may be annealed after printing to ramp-up the crystallinity in the resin. This will maximize mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties. Printed parts will be transparent golden in color and then turn an opaque tan color once annealed (see picture above). If you do not post-crystallize the PEKK parts, then the maximum use temperature is 150°C. If you do post-crystallize, then the maximum use temperature is 260°C. So you can choose which route to go depending on the needs of your part.
- Step 1: Place part in an oven and raise the temperature to 160c, allow to remain at that temperature for 30 minutes.
- Step 2: Raise the oven temperature to 200c and allow the part to remain their until it turns a uniform tan color. Timing will depend on the temperature uniformity and circulation of the air inside the oven. Allow to cool prior to handling part.