ThermaX™ TPI 3D Printing Filament, Made Using Sabic EXTEM™ Thermoplastic Polyimide
ThermaX™ TPI is made using Sabic’s Extem™ Thermoplastic Polyimide (TPI) resin. This resin has been formulated specifically for FFF/FDM additive manufacturing. ThermaX™ TPI boasts exceptional thermal properties with a glass transition temperature (Tg) of 247°C and an HDT of 230°C. This material has exceptional mechanical, thermal, and chemical resistance properties and is suitable for the most demanding applications in the aerospace, automotive, electronics, and industrial markets.
What is TPI? One way to think about our ThermaX™ TPI [Thermoplastic Polyimide] is to consider it a higher-heat version of the venerable Ultem™ 1010 PEI (Polyether Imide). Both TPI and PEI are amorphous thermoplastic polyimides and offer excellent high-heat resistance, strength, and chemical resistance. Where ThermaX™ TPI shines is that it offers superior mechanical properties in applications that are exposed to temperatures above 170°C and up to 230°C (up to 50% higher strength than Ultem™ 1010 at these elevated temperatures). ThermaX™ TPI must be considered a top contender when you need the best performance in the most challenging applications. Our Gearbox™ HT2 printer [HERE] is the ideal platform for printing ThermaX™ TPI and other ultra-polymers.
Gearbox HT2™ 3D Printer: Print industrial-grade parts using our TPI filament and more with the new Gearbox™ HT2 High-Temp 3D Printer.
Nozzle SpecsNo special concerns
Layer HeightNo special concerns
Drying Specs150°C for 4+ hours
Benefits of ThermaX™ TPI Include:
- Exceptional thermal properties: Tg = 247°C, HDT 237°C
- Up to 50% stronger than Ultem™ 1010 at temps above 170°C [170-230°C]
- Superior chemical resistance [auto & aircraft fluids, aliphatic hydrocarbons, alcohols, acids, chlorinated solvents]
- Inherently flame retardant without the use of halogenated additives
- Amorphous polymer with excellent dimensional stability over a wide range of temperatures
- Lower cost than other ultra-polymers such as PEEK and PEKK
1.75mm +/- 0.05mm in diameter
Recommended Print Settings:
- Extruder: 420-445°C
- Bed Temp: 180-220°C
- Bed Prep: Nano Polymer Adhesive or 3DXTECH Polyimide Tape gives us the best results
- Heated Chamber: ThermaX™ TPI is going to be difficult to print without using a printer equipped with an actively heated print chamber. Ideally, the chamber temp will be in the 220-240°C range to achieve ideal layer bonding, part strength, and dimensional stability. If your printer cannot reach these chamber temps, then you will want to set it to as high as the printer is capable of reaching (i.e., an 80°C chamber really isn’t going to cut it, but it is better than room temp!). Our Gearbox™ HT2 printer is the ideal platform for printing ThermaX™ TPI and other ultra-polymers.
- Supports: ThermaX HTS High-Temp Support works ideal for complex, high-temp materials just like this.
- Drying Instructions: 150°C for 4+ hours.
ULTEM™ and EXTEM™ are registered trademarks of Sabic Innovative Plastics.3DXTECH manufactures this filament using EXTEM™ TPI resin.3DXTECH™ extrudes ThermaX™ TPI filament using Sabic EXTEM™ resin.Extem AMHH811F