CarbonX™ CF-Ultem® 3D Printing Filament
CarbonX™ Carbon Fiber Reinforced Ultem® PEI (Polyether Imide) is an amorphous, high-performance polymer that combines excellent thermal properties, exceptional dimensional stability, inherent flame retardancy, and good chemical resistance. Ultem™ resin offers the ability to create parts with excellent properties at elevated temperatures due to a high glass transition temperature (Tg) of 217°C. The addition of high-modulus carbon fiber greatly increases the stiffness / modulus of the material as well as greatly improving dimensional stability.
Product attributes include:
- High thermal properties: (Tg) of 217°C
- Inherently flame retardant
- Long-term hydrolytic stability
- Excellent dimensional stability (low creep sensitivity and low, uniform coefficient of thermal expansion) and highly reproducible part-to-part dimensions
- Exceptional strength and modulus, even at elevated temperatures
- Good resistance to a broad range of chemicals, such as automotive fluids, fully halogenated hydrocarbons, alcohols, and aqueous solutions
- Stable dielectric constant and dissipation factor over a wide range of temperatures and frequencies
High-Temp Reels: We use reels made using PC/ABS and PC for our high-temp materials. This allows you to dry them out at higher temps once the filament absorbs moisture (which will happen to everyone eventually). The 250g and 500g reel are made using Polycarbonate (PC) and can be dried at 135°C if the filament gets wet. The 1kg reel is made using PC/ABS and can be safely dried at 115°C when it becomes necessary.
Automotive / Transportation Applications: Ultem™ resins provide automotive manufacturers with a high performance, chemically resistant, thermally-stable, cost-effective alternative to metal that is strong enough to replace steel in some applications and light enough to replace aluminum in others. For applications like transmission components, throttle bodies, ignition components, sensors and thermostat housings,
Electrical / Electronics Applications: Ultem™ resin may be an excellent material choice for today’s demanding electrical applications, including connectors, MCB components like housings, shafts and levers, hard disk drive internals, FOUP’s, BiTS, PCB’s, MCCB internals, Plenum devices, LCD projector internals, fuel cell components and many other applications.
- Diameter: 1.75mm (+/- 0.05mm)
- Color: Black
Recommended Print Conditions:
- Extruder Temp: 360 - 390°C (all-metal extruder)
- Bed Temp: 140 - 160°C
- Bed Prep: Ultem™ Tape, Polyimide Tape, Lightly sanded FR4 or Perf board.
- Nozzle: 0.4mm or larger. We currently recommend our A2 Hardened Steel Nozzles - HERE
- Layer Height: Ideal layer height is 60% of nozzle diameter. We do not recommend printing layers below 0.2mm with CF Grades.
- Other: No cooling fan, Print speeds of 30mm/s (starting point)
Annealing Printed Parts: If needed, parts printed using Ultem™ PEI may be annealed in a hot-air oven to reduce any printed-in stresses that may be present in the part. Printed-in stresses may occur in any plastic and may result in lower than expected mechanical properties. If this is an issue with your part, then you can follow the simple 5-step ramp up/down process for annealing the Ultem™ parts.
Step 1: Place printed parts in cool, room-temp oven.
Step 2. Set temp to 300°F and allow to stabilize for 1 hour.
Step 3: After 1 hour at 300°F, increase oven temp to 400°F and allow to stabilize 1 additional hour.
Step 4: After 1 hour at 400°F, reduce heat back to 300°F and allow to stabilize for 30 minutes.
Step 5: After 30 minutes, turn off oven heat and allow printed parts to return to room temp inside the oven as it cools.
Ultem™ is a registered trademark of Sabic Innovative Plastics.